Friday, November 4, 2011

Seychelles is part of Africa


When I was growing up, I was convinced that Africa was only the countries found within the continent Africa. Confusing as that statement is, I was a rather an inquisitive child who had questions after questions and with every answer a whole new chapter of questions would be formed. I remember my grandfather had a world map on a globe mostly found in geography classrooms or libraries and he would explain to me using the globe every time he traveled and during these times i would always enquire about the small tiny maps on the globe which he would tell me were known as  islands.

I used to think how lonely those people on the islands would feel with all the water surrounding them as opposed to we "the lucky ones" who had other countries surrounding us! These thoughts recently had an occurrence thus the inspiration to write this post. I was browsing the net and i came across a football conversation discussing Kenya's next footie match against Seychelles and someone in the conversation was asking why we would be facing Seychelles in the world cup qualifier group stages, yet Seychelles are not an African country!

I was bewildered that there were people who thought like the six years old me! How ignorant could one get,  I thought to myself! Trying to control my mind not to judge, I promised to write at least some pointers about Seychelles, one of the lonely perceived land, by the six year old me.

Facts about Seychelles Islands 
  • The Republic of Seychelles comprises 115 islands, an Exclusive Economic Zone of 1.4 km² in the western Indian Ocean. It represents an archipelago of legendary beauty that extends from between 4 and 10 degrees south of the equator and which lies between 480km and 1,600km from the east coast of Africa. Of these 115 islands, 41 constitute the oldest mid-oceanic granite islands on earth while a further 74 form the low-lying coral atolls and reef islands of the Outer Islands. 
  • The granitic islands of the Seychelles archipelago cluster around the main island of Mahé, home to the international airport and the capital, Victoria, and its satellites Praslin and La Digue.  Together, these Inner Islands form the cultural and economic hub of the nation and contain the majority of Seychelles’ tourism facilities as well as its most stunning beaches. 
  • The Islands heavily depend on tourism and have built their economy around the pillar of tourism, with economic strong holds being felt from sectors such as fishing and sea food exports.
  • It is a great holiday getaway, especially for honeymoon or romantic getaways!
  • Last but not least, it is considered as part of Africa, especially because of it's georaphical proximity to the African continent.
So don't you think this should be your next holiday destination? 

Images courtesy of  http://www.seychelles.travel.net

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Lola, i will pass by your blog to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is beautiful, Thanks for the follow. am following you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A hundred and fifteen islands? That's a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments and @Alex..there are just way too many!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic photos of an AMAZINGLY beautiful place. I'm already enjoying your photo and word tour...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I highly appreciate.